Friday, June 21, 2013

Going Slow in Oslo

In Oslo, lonely and horny. I screwed up enough courage to go down to the lobby looking for women to talk to. Everyone was busy talking to someone else. I wandered into one of the shops in the lobby. It turned out to be a car-rental company. Two women worked there: one attractive, and the other plain. I hesitated. I wanted to talk to the attractive woman, but she was on the phone. The other woman asked if she could help me. She was slim and tall and blonde. Yes, the type a lot of men would salivate over. But she wasn't for me. So I held back, not responding, looking at her dumbly.

"May I help you," she repeated in English.

I had no choice but to approach her, furiously trying to figure out a reason to be there. "I'm looking to rent a car," I finally said. "Do you have any available?"

"Yes, we do. What size would you like?"

"Small would do." I glanced at the other women, but she was still on the phone and unaware of my presence.

In the meantime, the plain looking one pulled out a brochure and handed it over to me. It contained a list of models and prices. I pretended to study it for a few moments. "I'll think about this and get back to you."

I got up to leave. Then I paused. I turned to her and said, "Would you be interested in having coffee after work?"

She did not hesitate. "Sorry," she replied in a blunt tone, unsmiling. "I'm not available."

Embarrassed, I fled the room with as much dignity as I could muster. I did not look at any other women and headed straight for my room, where I spent the rest of the evening trying to read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment