Wednesday, June 4, 2014

We Men Are Jackasses

Men on dating sites are more fun to write about. Because they're more entertaining. You women out there have it good. Endless hours of entertainment for free. I experienced this during the time I pretended to be a woman on Tinder, and I've seen the conversations some of my female friends have with their suitors online. 

There are, of course, the gentlemen, but also a lot of jackasses and hoodlums. It's the jackasses that provide the most entertainment for the money; the types that try too hard to be cool or funny or suave. E.g., "Hey, baby, there are only 21 letters in the English alphabet." "No, there are 26." "Oh, right, I forgot to include U.R.A.Q.T."

Women don't say shit like that. They don't need to. Men have too much competition. There's too much pressure on them to preen like a peacock, to stand out in the crowd. And their attempts to do so can often be comical, desperate and pathetic, sometimes all at the same time. It's only when you look at these conversations from the point of view of a woman do you realize how stupid we men can be. I'm sure I've done those things too. Perhaps still do, without realizing it. But I've also become much more aware of it. I don't try too hard. It's not worth it. If a woman isn't very responsive, or does so in monosyllables, move on. Just be yourself. Have some pride. If she's interested, she'll show it. You can't elicit enthusiasm when there's none. If a woman isn't willing to put in even a little bit of effort into the wooing process, she's probably not worth it. I don't like princesses. Royalty is an anachronism. Besides, aren't we supposed to be in an age where men and women are equal? In addition to all the things we normally associate with equality, what it also means to me is that women need to put themselves out there too, be willing to take rejection, be spurned, lick their egos and get back into the game. Or at least, make it easy enough for us men that we don't have to be jackasses to get your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment