Thursday, December 26, 2013

Adventures on Tinder: Are They All This Bad?

So a friend asked me if all my experiences on Tinder have been as lousy/funny as my posts make them out to be. The answer is no. I just choose to write about them. I encountered a couple of truly decent guys and a few who were as boring as mud. And a few with flashes of memorable conversations interspersed with long, boring interludes. Here are some examples:

1. I've already mentioned this academic guy in an open marriage. He was caucasian, in his late 30s. He wasn't great looking. But he was very decent, thoughtful and open. He had brains. No innuendos, no double entendres. He wasn't a braggart, didn't try too hard to impress me. And yet I was impressed. Had I been a woman I'd have truly wanted to meet him, even if I wasn't the open/poly relationship type of woman. Why? Because such decent guys are so rare, why the heck not give them a chance? Besides, what do you have to lose by meeting a guy for coffee?

2. An Indian guy in his early 50s, divorced, with a couple of older kids. Again, a very decent, honorable guy. Didn't come on strong. Not bad looking either. I didn't talk to him much because I feel guilty wasting good people's time. But I chatted with him enough to know that had I been a woman I'd have loved to meet him.

3. An airline pilot, 1/2 Middle-Eastern, 1/2 European. I didn't talk to him much either. But handsome fellow. While I don't think he was as honorable as the previous two, he behaved decently. I would have gone out with him too.

4. David, a 52 year old white guy. Big built, but was only interested in slim women. Had a decent main photo, but the rest of his photos revealed him to be quite trashy. One of those that slipped through the cracks. The conversation was short and went like this:

D: hi L. you didn't say much about yourself. shall we get together and see what we have in common?
me: jumping a few steps, aren't we? :)
d: well, it got a response! starting with something less bold seems to be a turn-off or something. i'm more than happy to chat first.

And I wanted to tell him that what he considered to be bold was a major turn-off, among other things. They guy spoke just as unappetizingly as he looked. So I had not time for him. I simply ignored him.

5. Manuel, a 33-year old Spaniard who worked as a graphic designer. After a reasonable start to the conversation, he only wanted to talk about sex, and that too stuff off center. About how he dated a woman who was into kinky stuff and asked him to do crazy things and how he used rings on his penis. The conversation was uninteresting. I simply stopped responding to him.

6. Fahad, a 50 year old Arab who also claimed to be part South American. He worked in sports broadcasting. While he didn't say anything outlandish, he was never far from conversation that was borderline. Lots of innuendos. Never came out and said what was actually on his mind. Kept fishing to see if I'd respond favorably to his innuendos. I didn't. Wanted to meet me right away. Didn't have anything interesting to say. So I stopped responding to him at some point.

7. Lee, a 42-year old Korean guy. Like Fahad, he often went close to the border, but never said anything perverted or sexual. But when I did, like make a reference to boobs, he'd latch on to it. I'd much rather that someone said what was really on their minds instead of fishing around the periphery. Shows lack of courage. Wimps!

No comments:

Post a Comment