Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Tinder experiment Starts

Recently I joined Tinder, the phone app that allows you to like or dislike someone based solely on their pictures. I know I don't look good in my pictures and have been told that I look much better in person, but still I have to work with what I have. So I put up my profile and started swiping right on pretty much every woman I came across, except for the very few outliers, in the hope that even if only a few women liked me back, I'd at least have someone to talk to and then decide if there's a good enough match or not. 

As it turns out, in over a week of liking literally hundreds of women, I was matched with only 5, of which 4 never bothered responding to my initial message. The one woman who did respond was a Filipina nurse (yeah, now there's a stereotype!). We chatted back and forth for a couple of days, exchanging information and flirting. And then we decided to meet. We had a good conversation over lunch even though I didn't find her to be terribly intellectually stimulating. She was a nice person and we talked about past, our present, our families, etc.

After lunch we went for a walk in the woods nearby. It was a lovely day and we had the hills to ourselves. A leisurely stroll up the wooded hill and then back down. She seemed to be really into me. She was sweet. On our way down I put my arm around her and she drew close. I turned to her and she looked at me in anticipation. We kissed. Tentatively at first. And then a lot more passionately. She was not shy. And my experience with Filipina women in general is that they're not shy of expressing themselves. We sat on a bench and cuddled for a while, but now our conversation was a little more personal, a little more naughty. She said I was naughty without being crude or vulgar. 

We would have sat there for a long time had it not been for the fact that we both had things to do in the afternoon. Reluctantly, we walked back to my car and I drove her to hers. As she left, she gave me a very tight hug and a kiss, promising to meet me soon.

Later that day I sent her a message telling her how much I enjoyed meeting her and asked her if she was free later that week. I received a response that I thought was non-committal and even a bit aloof. I sent her another message the next day, to which she did not respond for over 24 hours. This time the response was definitely vague. "Yes, we should get together sometime." "Sure," I responded. "Please let me know whenever you're free." 

I never heard back from her. What happened after she gave me a good-bye kiss, I have no idea. I didn't want to stalk her, so I sent her one final polite message to which I obviously didn't receive a response. What bothered me was not the fact that she didn't want to meet, but the sudden transformation from someone who seemed genuinely interested in me to having no interest in keeping in touch with me and the complete lack of explanation for what happened. 

Well, the reality is that she didn't owe me an explanation. We met only once. And we shared a few tender moments together. I should count my blessings.

A week later, with no more connections on Tinder, I deleted my account. Temporarily, as it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment